About the Otways
The Great Otway National Park stretches between the coast and the Princes Highway. A cool temperate rainforest, the Otways experiences the highest rainfall in Victoria and the lush green farmland around the national park is home to many artisan food producers.
The Otway Harvest Trail is a food and fibre group representing many producers in the area. Colac is the servicing hub to most of the Otways.
There are hundreds of waterfalls throughout the Great Otway National Park with the most spectacular accessible to visitors. Much of the attraction is within the national park and managed by Parks Victoria although some significant commercial attractions such as the Cape Otway Lightstation and the Otway Fly Treetop Adventures are in The Otways.
There is a wide variety of accommodation and food experiences, especially in township such as Johanna, Forrest and Birregurra. The Great Ocean Walk traverses the coastline West of Apollo Bay and Forrest in home to a popular Mountain Bike trail network and a growing mountain biking community. The Otway Coast Hamlets represents the small townships of Wye River, Separation Creek, Kennett River and Wongarra that are located on the Great Ocean Road between Lorne and Apollo Bay.
The Otways Brand
The Otways are a story of magic and adventure. Where breathtaking nature becomes an indulgence that nourishes the mind and soul.
We’re a place built on big nature. Where the world’s tallest trees meet the Southern Ocean’s wildest swells. Where shy koalas peer between lush green leaves and fertile soil provides a rich bounty ready for harvest. All who visit fall under its spell.
- Develop and consistently promote a unique market positioning and brand identity for the Otways.
- Develop the Otways product.
- Develop a seamless visitor service excellence culture, capacity and capability.
- Improve the overall benefits from events in the Otways.
- Manage for longer-term visitor growth to provide for a sustainable destination.
- Implement a risk management plan for the Otways and ensure that this is integrated into local businesses.
Otways Destination Action Plan 2015 – 2017
Destination Action Plan
About the Otway Coast Hamlets
Otway Coast Hamlets is a destination reference for the small communities located on the Colac Otway Shire’s eastern coastline. These include Separation Creek, Wye River, Kennett River, Grey River, Wongarra and Petticoat Creek. There are many accommodation options here from resort and luxury holiday homes to camping and traditional beach houses for rent, however limited food and retail experiences. Lorne and Apollo Bay are easily accessible and provide more dining options to visitors staying in the Otway Coast Hamlets.
The Otway Coast Hamlets Brand
We’re here for those that love getting out in nature. Invigorated by the crashing of the waves and the freshness of the forest. The ones who are seeking a getaway in total peace and serenity. A game of I spy in mother nature; wake to the sound of bird song and the rivers of morning dew trickling down the canopy and the brightest star you won’t find in the city.
- Destination Marketing for the Otway Coast Hamlets
- Infrastructure and product development
- Development of in region visitor servicing tools
- Risk management planning and resilience building
- Educating operators and visitors in responsible tourism and environmental sustainability
- Plan Implementation and leadership
Destination Action Plan
Otways Destination Website