Colac has a population of around 13,000 and the town is named after Lake Colac, which lies to the township’s North. Colac is the administrative centre and largest town in Colac Otway Shire and services many smaller nearby communities. For visitors, Colac is positioned on the Princes Highway, providing access to the Otways, 12 Apostles Coast and Hinterland, Volcanic Lakes and Plains and destinations to the west of the region. It is often a stop for food, fuel and supplies for travellers on the Great Ocean Road Journey. Colac is considered a hub for exploring major regional attractions and destinations – just a one-hour drive from Lorne, Apollo Bay and the 12 Apostles, while attractions like Lake Colac, Colac Botanic Gardens and nearby Red Rock provide activities in and around the township. The Colac Chamber of Commerce represent businesses in Colac and surrounds.
The Colac Brand
Colac’s is a story of real and human connection. Of family, ritual and genuine people who are proud of their place. An intimate, honest and hardworking community, with home grown, authentic offerings of arts, crafts and local produce from the surrounding rural district. Colac is confident, progressive and resourceful.
A commercial destination partnership is in place between Great Ocean Road Regional Tourism and The Colac Chamber of Commerce. 20% of investment from Colac businesses in the Great Ocean Road official marketing program is made available for Colac Chamber of Commerce to spend on local visitor economy objectives.
- Develop a governance structure to support delivery of a collaborative and cohesive approach to growing the return from the visitor economy of Colac.
- Prioritise public investment to maximise delivery of the vision for Colac.
- Support the development of a range of accommodation to attract identified target markets.
- Support the development of a range of products and services to deliver the vision and build Brand Colac.
- Prepare an industry development program that builds business professionalism and cooperation to improve the service offering to visitors.
- Develop a marketing strategy to underpin brand Colac.
Destination Action Plan
Colac Page on Visit Great Ocean Road
Preferred Partner Program
Enhance your profile on your local destination website under ‘Where to Stay’, ‘What to Do’ or ‘Eat & Drink’ with a featured listing that puts your business at the top of the page in a premium position. (Limited to 6 advertisers per business type)
Promote your business on the region’s official tourism website - visitgreatoceanroad.org.au with a profile listing and opportunity to display a brochure in your local Visitor Information Centre.
General Manager, Liz Price
We need to encourage visitors to see the breadth and depth of what we have to offer, to encourage them to stay longer, travel further, spend more money and to come back again and again.